This is my first time making homemade pop tarts and oh my gosh, am I glad I did. This probably goes as one of my top, favorite recipes. The crust was one of the most flakey and crumbly crusts I’ve ever had. It makes the pop tart. And because I had breakfast in mind (though I had all my pop tarts midday…like 5 minutes after they came out of the oven), I made a brown butter coffee drizzle to go over the top – SO GOOD.
In case you want a supplement to the instructions, link to the video is here.
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.
2. Grate butter into bowl and mix with fork till all the pieces of butter are coated with flour.
3. Mix the egg with milk and pour it into the flour and butter mixture.
4. Knead until a ball of dough forms, adding more milk if necessary. Do not over knead. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Mix apples with sugar, salt, cinnamon and lemon juice.
2. Cook apples over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll chilled dough into a 10 1/2-inch by 9-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 rectangles each 3 1/2-inches by 4 1/2-inches. Using a fork, poke holes in 3 rectangles.
2. Divide apples among the three rectangles leaving space on the edges.
3. Combine egg and milk for egg wash. Brush the edges of the dough and put on the top rectangles pressing down with fingers to seal the edges. Using the tines of a fork, make indentations along the edges.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
1. Over medium to medium high heat, brown the butter.
2. Pour over powdered sugar and instant coffee along with milk. Stir till smooth. Sprinkle in a small pinch of salt.
3. Drizzle over pop tarts. Sprinkle with salt again.
(makes 3 pop tarts)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large apple
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of salt